The Brow Chakra, also known as the Third Eye or Anja is the sixth of the body’s seven chakras. It is located in the centre of the forehead. The Third Eye is the centre of our perception and command and it directs our sight and everyday awareness of the world. Our consciousness is located here. “We” are here. We relate to ourselves through this Chakra. The Brow Chakra captures our view of the world, our ability to see the truth in situations with an open mind. Therefore, it pertains to our psychological characteristics, but more importantly, it is the Chakra of wisdom.
This Chakra is associated with the deep inner level of Being we call the Spirit and with what we consider spirituality and the spiritual perspective, the point of view from that deeper part of our being that western traditions consider the subconscious or unconscious. It is the place where our true motivations are found, and is the level of consciousness that directs our actions and, in fact, our lives.
When the Brow Chakra is in balance we see clearly and understand what we see. We are able to interpret visual cues and our perception is high. Our thoughts and internal communications with ourselves are healthy and vibrant. We have perspective on events and ideas. We are open to new ideas, dreams, and visions. We can be quietly observant, and reflective. We can control the flow of energy within all the Chakras.
When the Brow Chakra is out of balance, the whole organism suffers. Without perspective, nothing makes sense. You will be confused, have difficulty seeing things clearly, and knowing what is important and what is not. You will not have command of your body or your thoughts. You will suffer headaches, ear aches and have vision problems. You will be unable to work through problems or puzzles. Things just won’t make sense. You will be disoriented and confused.
Representing Colour: Indigo, Midnight Blue
Location of the Chakra in the Body: In the centre of the forehead.
How Can I Tell If My Brow Chakra Is Blocked?
The Brow Chakra is directly related to your senses of sight and hearing. It has to do with perception. It is the seat of understanding that affects how we see the world we live in and how we make sense of what is being perceived. Balancing this Chakra can help remove confusion or indecision and increase the ability to see clearly and make important distinctions.
Some signs that the Brow Chakra is blocked or out of balance are:
- You feel lost when it comes to a sense of purpose and a path in life. This sense of being lost and without inner guidance can lead to becoming very ritualistic and dogmatic in following a particular leader or system that gives you a sense of purpose or meaning.
- You have an active imagination, but not in a good way. Your imagination is often stuck in regret and worry mode. Regret about the past and worry about the future. You imagine all the things that could go wrong, all the negative things that people might be thinking about you, and a future that is scary if you don’t take massive action now to fix everything that is broken.
- You spend much of your day in analytical, churn mode, trying to figure everything out and getting frustrated when you can’t. You find it hard to turn off the churn mode which results in difficulty being present in the moment and difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep.
- You are often highly attached to things turning out the way you want them to or think they should, so life is experienced as constant emotional roller coaster. You feel up when things seem to be going your way and down when they don’t.
- You experience any of the following physical symptoms on a frequent or chronic basis: frequent headaches, upper/frontal sinus conditions, neurological disorders, disorders of the eyes or ears and disorders of the outer brain.
Maintaining Balance in your Third Eye Chakra
After a Chakra Balancing treatment it is important to maintain that balance and removing stress is a life-long process that is meant to be enjoyed daily. For the Third Eye:
- Practice Meditation to develop your intuition.
- Use aroma therapeutic essential oils such as Patchouli, Myrrh and Olibanum.
- Add purple and indigo colours to your wardrobe, even a scarf can assist the flow of energy.
- Choosing music that is classical in nature such as Mozart, Beethoven and Bach can enhance the energies flowing to the Brow Chakra.
- Place Third Eye crystal such as Amethyst, Tourmaline and Tanzanite on the location of the Third Eye for clearing, revitalising and healing.
- Use positive Third Eye affirmations. Take a few moments to sit in quiet reflection. Tune into your own Third Eye and find the affirmations needed specifically for you at this time. Feel what you need to say to yourself to bring healing to your Third Eye, and then take a few minutes each day this week to repeat them. Embody them. Believe them! Use affirmations such as:
- “I am in touch with my inner guidance.”
- “I listen to my deepest wisdom.”
- “I seek to understand and to learn from my life experiences.”
- “I am wise, intuitive, and connected with my inner guide.”
- “I nurture my spirit.”
- “I listen to the wisdom of elders.”
- “I trust my intuition.”
- “I forgive the past and learn what was there for me to learn.”
- “I forgive myself.”
- “I love and accept myself.”
- “I know that all is well in my world.”
- “I am connected with the wisdom of the universe.”
- “I am open to inspiration and bliss.”
- “My life moves effortlessly.”
- “I am at peace.”
- “I am the source of my truth and my love.”
- Meditation is a very important part of balancing the Brow Chakra. In fact regular meditation is essential for maintain its health. Indigo crystals should be held during any meditation aimed at assuring the free flow of energy within the Brow Chakra. Quiet reflection with a small indigo crystal placed on the forehead will help focus the wisdom of the indigo ray on the Brow Chakra releasing any blockages.