The Sacral Chakra is the second of the seven Chakras in your body. It is located on the abdomen about 5cm below the navel. It governs our sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure and sexuality. The Sacral Chakra is all about feeling and sexuality. When it is open, your feelings flow freely and are expressed without you being over-emotional. You are open to intimacy and you can be passionate and lively. You will have no problems dealing with your sexuality. If you feel that you are stiff and unemotional, your Sacral Chakra is probably under-active. If this Chakra is over-active, you tend to be emotional all the time. You’ll feel emotionally attached to people and you can be overly sexual.
When your Sacral Chakra is balanced you will find it easy to give and receive love. You can also access and share your creativity and will be able to have healthy relationships, including emotional and sexual intimacy. A balanced Sacral Chakra will also enable you are able to trust your instincts about other people and maintain appropriate boundaries. You’ll feel confident in your body image and are able to access the healing power of a strong and regenerative physical body.
Representing Colour: Orange
Location of the Chakra in the Body: Lower abdomen about 5cm below the navel.
How Can I Tell If My Sacral Chakra Is Blocked?
If this Chakra is too open you may:
- have boundary issues i.e. you are swallowed up in a relationship and/or you smother and engulf others
- feel everyone else’s emotions and absorb these emotions as your own
- be ruled by your own emotions, resulting in frequent dramatic episodes, which may include periods of aggression, vengeance, hostility and anger
- internalise your emotions and become depressed
- hold on to emotions and grief for too long and be lost in the memories of those you have loved and lost, and/or how you have been mistreated in relationships, i.e. holding a grudge
- be too attached to what you have created, e.g. your children – including living vicariously through them – and home. You may also be overly attached to your possessions
If the Sacral Chakra is closed, you are likely to be at the opposite end in terms of emotionality. In this state, you are likely to feel flat and lifeless, or cold and distant i.e. you are out of touch with your emotions and perhaps even your sexuality. You may find it difficult to access your creative abilities and have a sense that you are going through life in black and white, without any passion or joie de vivre.
When the Sacral Chakra is out of balance it can lead to sexual dysfunctions. It also stops one from making vibrational connections necessary to attract and maintain love relationships. Further, eating disorders can be a manifestation of an out of balance Sacral Chakra.
Maintaining Balance in your Sacral Chakra
After a Chakra Balancing treatment it is important to maintain that balance and removing stress is a life-long process that is meant to be enjoyed daily. For the Sacral Chakra:
- Use scents and smells that positively affect the Sacral Chakra, such as Sweet orange, ylang ylang or sandalwood aromatherapy oils.
- Get involved in sensual dancing, e.g. Salsa dancing, belly dancing – any dancing that could be considered as slow and sensual, or flirtatious and erotic, with fluid movements of the hips and belly.
- Integrate the colour orange into your wardrobe and home décor.
- Eat orange fruits and vegetables like oranges, apricots, peaches, carrots and butternut.
- Place sacral crystal such as Moonstone, Carnelian and Golden Topaz on the location of the Sacral Chakra (just below your belly-button) for clearing, revitalising and healing. You may even choose to carry one of these crystals with you throughout your day.
- Use positive sacral affirmations. Take a few moments to sit in quiet reflection. Tune into your own Sacral Chakra and find the affirmations needed specifically for you at this time. Feel what you need to say to yourself to bring healing to your Sacral Chakra, and then take a few minutes each day this week to repeat them. Embody them. Believe them! Use affirmations such as:
- “Pleasure is a good and valuable part of my life.”
- “I give myself permission to fully enjoy my sexuality.”
- “I allow abundance and prosperity into my life.”
- “I allow my emotions to flow through me in a healthy way.”
- “I am open to experiencing the present moment through my senses.”
- “The universe is full of sweetness and beauty.”
- Try not to keep feelings bottled up, but find safe ways to express and release emotions, e.g. talking to a friend, chanting, dancing, painting, writing a journal and getting the necessary and appropriate external support on any emotional issues that you need to deal with.
- Create opportunities for pleasurable feelings in your life. Find the time to do things you really enjoy; create some “you” time every day. And spend time with positive and uplifting people.
- Create an emotionally calming environment in your home by cleansing your personal space with incense and burning candles.