The Solar Plexus Chakra is the third of the seven Chakras in your body. It is located at the solar plexus, above the navel just below the breast bone. The Solar Plexus Chakra is our energy centre and it radiates vital life-force energy (prana) through-out our entire body. It is also our centre of personal strength, learning and comprehension. It guides us through life by creating a strong sense of self, setting personal boundaries and building self- esteem and willpower. It is the seat of raw emotions and self-discipline and where we can have a mental understanding of our emotional self. The ability to bring change into your life and to the world is born within this Chakra.
The Manipura not only governs the emotional and mental aspect of your psyche but also your psychic experiences. Often a feeling of intuition or “gut feeling” in a certain situation will benefit us greatly if we listen to it.
When this Chakra is in balance we will be in complete control over our emotions and thoughts. A balanced Solar Plexus Chakra boosts self-esteem, respect for others, calmness and initiative. We’ll feel friendly, joyful and confident. A balanced Solar Plexus Chakra helps us live a deeply fulfilling emotional life and take an outgoing and sociable attitude to the world. It helps us feeling daring and confident and able to take risks.
An unbalanced Solar Plexus Chakra can threaten our self-confidence and invite concerns about what others think of us. Lack of yellow energy may cause depression and confusion that also have bodily manifestations such as digestive, liver and respiratory problems.
Representing Colour: Yellow
Location of the Chakra in the Body: Midway between the navel and the base of the sternum.
How Can I Tell If My Solar Plexus Chakra Is Blocked?
If your Solar Plexus Chakra is over-active you may be:
- judgemental or critical and easily finding fault in others
- demanding and have extreme emotional problems
- very rigid or stubborn, not willing to see other’s point of view
- aggressive and often anger at the slightest provocation
- planning to do things, but never actually doing what you planned on doing
- a workaholic where your work or interests become a priority over everything else
- a perfectionist that can’t settle on something that is already good enough – it has to be better
If you Solar Plexus Chakra is under-active you may be:
- suffering from severe emotional problems
- experiencing a lot of doubt and mistrust towards the people in your life
- worrying too much about what other people might think of you
- running on “auto pilot”, avoiding your feelings of depression and/or anxiety
- feeling afraid or alone when you start to look at what you have been avoiding
- feeling that you are not good enough and be seeking a constant approval of others – this can lead to a need or dependency on the people in your life
Maintaining Balance in your Solar Plexus Chakra
After a Chakra Balancing treatment it is important to maintain that balance and removing stress is a life-long process that is meant to be enjoyed daily. For the Solar Plexus Chakra:
- Embrace life and the warm, yellow energy of the sun. Awaken lost curiosities, develop your photographic memory, do puzzles, pick up an old hobby!
- Use scents and smells that positively affect the Solar Plexus Chakra, such as rosemary, grapefruit and orange aromatherapy oils.
- Find the time to be outdoors and bask in the yellow energy of the sun.
- Integrate the colour yellow into your wardrobe and home décor.
- Eat yellow foods such as bananas, granola, pasta, rice, flax, sunflower seeds, cheese and yogurt. Spice up food with spices that include ginger, melissa, chamomile, turmeric, cumin and fennel and mint.
- Wear a gold bracelet or necklace or carry with you yellow gemstones like Amber or Topaz.
- Place solar plexus crystal such as Malachite, Jasper, Tiger’s Eye, Citrine, Yellow Tourmaline, Golden Beryl, Rhodochrosite on the location of the Solar Plexus Chakra for clearing, revitalising and healing.
- Use positive solar plexus affirmations. Take a few moments to sit in quiet reflection. Tune into your own Solar Plexus Chakra and find the affirmations needed specifically for you at this time. Feel what you need to say to yourself to bring healing to your Solar Plexus Chakra, and then take a few minutes each day this week to repeat them. Embody them. Believe them! Use affirmations such as:
- “I am confident in all that I do.”
- “I am successful and release my creative energy into this Reality, effortlessly.”
- The Solar Plexus’ Element is Fire. Taking a walk out in the sun is extremely beneficial. Sitting in front of a camp fire or fire place can have an instant healing effect.
- Spend some time each day on self-care – treat yourself to a relaxing bath with candle light and soft music, or that extra hour of uninterrupted reading.