The Throat Chakra, also known as Vishuddha is the fifth of the seven Chakras and it is located at the base of the throat. The Throat Chakra is associated with your self-expression and communication, i.e. the aspects of expressing and receiving. Expressing can be in the form of communicating what you want and what you feel or it can be an artistic expression such as an artist painting, a dancer dancing, a musician playing music, i.e. using some form of expression and bringing to the outside what was within. Expressing is also related to receiving, as in “Ask, and you shall receive.” Physically this Chakra controls the throat, the neck, the arms and the hands. It is associated with the brachial or cervical plexus.
This Chakra is also associated with listening to your intuition, guiding you towards an optimal flow in which you can see your goals manifest and the Universe providing for all your needs. It’s a state of Grace. Abundance, therefore, is associated with this Chakra, as is the aspect of unconditional receiving necessary to accept the abundance of the Universe.
If your Throat Chakra is in balance you will have no problem expressing yourself in the world! You will be very creative, helpful and may be good at offering people sound advice when it is asked for. You know what you want out of life and you are not afraid to ask for it, and what you ask for always seems to come to you with no or little effort on your part. You are not afraid to express your weaknesses and people respect you for this. You are truly free when you can speak your truth. You will able to listen and communicate well. A balanced Throat Chakra offers us faithfulness, an ability to express ourselves and our ideas, good communication skills, will power and honesty.
Imbalances are caused by being unfaithful (to either yourself or to others), a feeling of not being heard or not being able to express your ideas/who you are. Feeling afraid to talk about things, lack of honesty (to yourself and/or others), lack of willpower and lying all contribute to creating imbalance in the Throat Chakra. It only takes one of these emotional conditions to form an imbalance, the intensity of which will be in direct relation. As you become more aware of yourself and the link between your emotional and physical aspects of you, your body responds more quickly to even the slightest emotional imbalance.
When you are having trouble expressing yourself, or having trouble with communication (being unable to say what you want to say to others and/or not truly listening to what you are being told) the Throat Chakra becomes imbalanced. An imbalance will first resonate as a tingle, ache or sensitivity in the throat region (stemming from the base of the neck to the ears). If the issue is left unattended to, may lead on to more serious issues such as Thyroid problems (over/under-active), anorexia nervosa, asthma, bronchitis, hearing problems, tinnitus, problems of the upper digestive tract, mouth ulcers, sore throats and tonsillitis.
Representing Colour: Blue/Sky Blue
Location of the Chakra in the Body: Base of the throat.
Over-active Throat Chakra
If your Throat Chakra is over-active you more than likely be over-opinionated, perhaps very critical of others and how they are performing in life. You may be verbally abusive to those around you and may find yourself yelling a lot when not necessary. You won’t allow others to “talk back” or voice their opinions about certain situations, it will be your way or no way.
Under-active Throat Chakra
With an under-active Throat Chakra you will be unable to express yourself and will often be misinterpreted or misunderstood by others. You will probably be “wishy washy” or considered “flakey” or unreliable by the people in your life. Telling the truth and being honest with yourself is something you probably have a difficult time with, and giving mixed messages is likely something that has gotten you into trouble before.
Maintaining Balance in your Throat Chakra
After a Chakra Balancing treatment it is important to maintain that balance and removing stress is a life-long process that is meant to be enjoyed daily. For the Throat Chakra:
- Use scents and smells that positively affect the Throat Chakra, such as Frankincense, Chamomile and Sandalwood aromatherapy oils.
- Self-expression is paramount and one way of doing this is by writing thoughts and emotions down – start journaling on a regular basis.
- Integrate the colour blue into your wardrobe, home décor and life. Sitting outside under a beautiful blue sky with the sun shining down on you will begin to balance this chakra. Additionally, lighting candles that are this colour, picturing or surrounding yourself with this colour will greatly benefit you if there is an imbalance. It is the colour of truth, loyalty and wisdom.
- Water, lemons and limes (and some other citrus fruits), apples and peaches can help you to cleanse, clear and open up the Throat Chakra.
- Place crystals such as Lapis Lazuli, Blue Quartz, Turquoise Blue Calcite, Blue Kyanite, Aquamarine, Sodalite, Tanzanite, Blue Lace Agate and Lazulite on the Throat Chakra for clearing, revitalising and healing. You may even choose to use one of these crystals as a pendant around your neck.
- Use positive throat affirmations. Take a few moments to sit in quiet reflection. Tune into your own Throat Chakra and find the affirmations needed specifically for you at this time. Feel what you need to say to yourself to bring healing to your Throat Chakra, and then take a few minutes each day this week to repeat them. Embody them. Believe them! Use affirmations such as:
- “I speak freely and with confidence.”
- “It is now safe for me to express my feelings and to create the life I desire.”
- “Everything I do is an expression of Love.”
- Meditating out in nature, anywhere, while allow your Throat Chakra to be open to all that is, will begin to balance it. It is through the Throat Chakra that we can begin to receive messages from the Universe.
- And sing… as much as can. In the shower, in the car, while cooking or gardening. Anywhere, anytime. Uninhibited.